Search This Blog

Monday, December 27, 2010

School Project I Before The Dune Cat

2009-2010

Darryl has grown up to be quite the little handy man. He is constantly building and helping me around the house do repairs. He is also now in the sixth grade. He has taken a class that is an elective course Agriculture. We always knew this as FFA. Part of the curriculum for this class is a small project that has to be turned in for a grade. The project he chose is a bird house. He has to build a bird house and turn it in with in just a few weeks of starting school. Oh my we have to get on the ball.

We first start out with a drawing of what he wants the finished product to look like. Not a bad start until I look at the plan. Holy Shit! It is a 3 story bird house 3 feet high 3 feet wide and 18 inches deep. I explain the time constraints as best I can with out hurting his feelings. "I think we need to modify this a bit don't you?" I asked. His response "no way I want one as big as our house". Well lets make a model of our house then; a modest story and a half home I figure we can do this.

We lay out the plans and figure how much raw materials we will need. Go to Lowes and purchase wood, nails, stain, varnish, and other odds and ends to begin the project.

After the project is complete the teacher asks if she can enter it into the Georgia National Fair for FFA. We don't think he has a chance but okay sure he might win something. Wrong these people were blown away by his workmanship. They asked my wife when she went to pick the project up if I had built this for him. She told them that I had watched and assisted pointing him in the right directions and to make sure he didn't cut his hands off but he did the work. You can see that in the pictures he is doing all of the work himself. The house finished up being a 5 bedroom birdhouse.

Here are some of the pictures from the bird house build.

Cut the pieces careful not cut off fingers. 
Laying out the dado for the floor
Good shot of wall separator and floor dado
Closing in bottom floor
Make sure to keep them glasses on
Staining the outside Walnut and early american oak blend
Looks pretty good boy
Backside applying varnish
Front side applying varnish
Look MOM I didn't cut off my thumb
Entered by teacher into Georgia National Fair
Small Wood Working Project. Not only did
He win a blue ribbon, He won Grand Champion
Proud as a Daddy can be


See our pictures here

Visit our site for this build

No comments:

Post a Comment