Search This Blog

Monday, December 27, 2010

History PhaseII of "The Dune Cat"

A few years go by, I grow up some move all over South Georgia mostly in and around Tift county.

In 1985 I graduate high school, start working in the town of Ocilla, Georgia building mobile homes for a living. On my way home one day I need to go to Tifton. I take a different way than going home, I take US319 and go through a small community near the Tift/ Irwin county line. I notice sitting in the back yard a 1982 Daytona 500 Z-28 pace car.
Bad Ass Car in the day

I stop to ask if they are interested in selling this car. A young very attractive young lady steps out and says NO!! that is her car and she is saving it. Okay no big deal; I start to leave when all of a sudden I see it. Sitting beside an old worn out golf cart is a Dune Cat. I ask to see it and she agrees to let me look at it. I offer to purchase and get turned down. Her response "My daddy don't sell nothing". So I left my name and number in hopes that he would call. No call nothing now I know how girls feel after they get rejected.

Time passes on and in 1987 I marry the girl of my dreams my high school sweetheart Wendy (love you babe) . Occasionally I would stop back by this house just to see if I could buy this go cart. Always the same answer if anyone was even home. No!  What was really sad is this thing is just sitting in the back yard rotting away. Seat was filling up with leaves and water destroying the finish.

1992 we have our first child Stephanie. 1996 we have our second child Leigh Ann. Wife said we could try one more time for a boy finally 1998 Darryl is born.

Off and on over twenty years I try to buy the Dune Cat still no luck.




See our pictures here

Visit our site for this build

1 comment:

  1. bigdaddyal,

    I looked at your google site and love what you did with your restoration project. 2 things.
    1. What grade did your son recieve?
    2. Did you find brakes for it?

    I've got my eye on one an it'll need some work. Can you just reply to superman0094 at gmail.com? I'd appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete